This park is located at 3330 Grand Ave in Everett, Wa. In 1914 William and Margaret Howarth moved to the home that stood on this property. The Howarths built beautiful gardens inspired by some of their friends the Butcharts. The same Bucharts of the beautiful Buchart Gardens in Canada. The gardens featured a tennis court, greenhouses, and beautiful landscaping.
William Howarth was an executive for the Everett Pulp and Paper Mill, a position his son-in-law would eventually take over. The Howarths were philanthropists and gave greatly to youth groups and Deaconness Children’s Homes.
amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0";
amzn_assoc_search_bar = "true";
amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "pnwadventur0b-20";
amzn_assoc_search_bar_position = "bottom";
amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "search";
amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart";
amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon";
amzn_assoc_region = "US";
amzn_assoc_title = "Shop Related Products";
amzn_assoc_default_search_phrase = "picnic games";
amzn_assoc_default_category = "All";
amzn_assoc_linkid = "65beac45fb3210b5d34a9549652f29c1";
Ada and William Pilz, the Howarths daughter and son-in-law moved in next door to help with the massive gardens after Margaret died in 1924. In 1937 William passed away and the family had the Howarth house torn down and they expanded the gardens.
Following in the Howarths philanthropic footsteps, the Pilzes donated the property at 3330 Grand to the Everett School District. The city later partnered with the School District and decided to build a park for the children of the community. The park was built with the help of many community volunteers and is named after one exuberant young volunteer, Doyle Cates. In 1984 ownership of the park was transferred to the city and today the park still offers a place for children to play.
The park has plenty of open field for games and play. Beware though the lower field can be a bit muddy in the rainy months.
This park is dog and kid friendly.