Grand Avenue Park in Everett, Washington sits atop a bluff overlooking the Puget Sound. This park was established in 1906 and is 3.5 acres in size. It’s a beautiful narrow tree lined park. It hugs the bluff to create a narrow park filled with expansive views of the Puget Sound as well as the Navy base and Port of Everett.
A monument sits in the middle of the park. Donated by the Marcus Whitman Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution it commemorates the landing of the Captain James Cook and his ship the Vancouver in 1792. The ship landed on the beach below. It’s interesting to note that it would be at least another century before the City of Everett would be established. Cook named the Puget Sound after his Lieutenant Peter Puget.
In the early years the park contained stairs down to the beaches below the bluff. These stairs gave men working in the mills that operated below a way to travel easily up the hill, through the park, and on in to the growing town of Everett. In 1923 the city installed lights in the park. Over the years the stairs fell into disrepair and were less trafficked and in the 1960s they were dismantled.
Note the beautiful historic home that sits across the street was built in 1911 for William Bulter. He was originally an East Coast businessman sent West to Manage John Rockefeller’s interests in Everett. If your not familiar with Everett’s colorful history, Rockefeller was a major investor in Everett’s creation. If you’re interested in Everett history I recommend Mill Town by Norman H. Clark.
amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0";
amzn_assoc_search_bar = "true";
amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "pnwadventur0b-20";
amzn_assoc_search_bar_position = "bottom";
amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "search";
amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart";
amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon";
amzn_assoc_region = "US";
amzn_assoc_title = "Shop Related Products";
amzn_assoc_default_search_phrase = "everett, wa history";
amzn_assoc_default_category = "All";
amzn_assoc_linkid = "528ecd0f7ad1d1702cc52431466a2888";
In 1968 famous senator Henry M. Jackson and his family purchased Butler’s old home. Senator Jackson often went by the nickname “Scoop.” The nickname was from his early days as a paper boy for the Everett Herald. Jackson grew up in Everett just blocks away at his parents home on Oakes Avenue. Jackson had a long career in public service beginning as a public prosecutor in 1938, elected to the House of Representatives in 1940, and Senator in 1952. He died in office in 1983.
This park is small, no play equipment, and only a few benches. Despite it’s size it is very popular especially at lunch time. The park does allow dogs.